BookThug publishes contemporary literary fiction , non-fiction, poetry and drama. We do not publish genre fiction (mystery, science fiction, historical romance), cookbooks, or self-help books.
BookThug is committed to an ongoing conversation about the possibilities of what literature is, or could be. We welcome submissions that will help us make this conversation as rich as possible. We especially encourage Indigenous writers, writers of colour, writers from the LGBTQ2S community, writers with disabilities, and women, to submit their work for consideration.
Our Fiction Editor is Malcolm Sutton.
Our Poetry Editor is Jay MillAr.
PLEASE NOTE THAT WE ARE CURRENTLY NOT ACCEPTING UNSOLICITED
POETRY MANUSCRIPTS AS OUR POETRY PROGRAM IS FULL UNTIL 2020.
Our Non-Fiction Editor is Julie Joosten. (The Essais Series)
MAIL ALL POETRY AND DRAMA QUERIES & MANUSCRIPTS TO:
ATT: Jay Millar, Publisher
260 Ryding Avenue
Canada M6N 1H5
[for queries email jay at bookthug dot ca]
EMAIL ALL FICTION QUERIES & MANUSCRIPTS TO:
Department of Narrative Studies
Malcolm Sutton, Fiction Editor
malcolm at bookthug dot ca
Read an interview with Malcolm Sutton about what he looks for in a manuscript here.
EMAIL ALL NONFICTION QUERIES & MANUSCRIPTS TO:
Julie Joosten, Editor
julie at bookthug dot ca
Read an announcement about the Essais series here.
Some general information regarding submissions:
- Ensure that your name, address, phone number and email are on the manuscript; do not send discs of any kind.
- Please include an introductory letter that describes your work and in which you compare your work to two BookThug titles.
- Ensure that your manuscript is typed, double-spaced with single-sided pages. Double spacing is not necessary for poetry manuscripts.
- Please include a literary CV that lists your publication history.
- If you are mailing a poetry submission and would like your manuscript back, please enclose a large enough self-addressed envelope with sufficient pre-paid postage. If you don’t want your manuscript returned, please include a note giving us permission to recycle or destroy it if we aren’t interested in it.
- Make sure to tell us if it is a multiple submission. If your manuscript is accepted for publication elsewhere prior to hearing back from us, please ensure that you contact us to inform us of this immediately so that we can remove your proposal from the pile. This courtesy saves everyone a lot of time.
We receive many manuscripts for consideration each year. We publish 18-20 books a year, 9-10 per season (spring and fall) in a variety of genres. We do our very best to give your manuscript the proper attention. We appreciate you being patient, so please do not call or email us to check on the status of your proposal. If all goes well you should hear back from us about your manuscript in approximately 6 months. If you wish for us to acknowledge receipt of your submission, please include a note along with your manuscript requesting this and we will send you a confirmation email.